Just a quick update. Left Saigon this morning, and landed in Hue, with plans on heading out to Hoi An. I met a Vietnamese couple along the way that were on vacation, and were going to Da Nang for some big fireworks show. I ended up traveling with them, and now we're splitting a room here in Da Nang, a rather large triple with beds decked out in little kid sheets covered in teddy bears holding hearts that say "I Love You" I plan on going to Hoi An first thing tomorrow morning, now I just have to figure out how to get there. The couple I'm hanging with are named Phi and Thieu; Phi works at a corporate bank, Thieu told me he works as "police," which was startling because he seemed like the most boyish, happy, perma-grin having motherfucker on the planet. Phi then said that he works "secret," (I guess not so much any more though) and something to do with "security" but I wasn't sure if it's the "Secret Police," or if he just works undercover. He said he was a detective (btw, he seriously looks like he's 15) and I asked him if solves crimes, which he nodded enthusiastically, said yes, then both of them turned away abruptly and changed the subject.
Last night in Saigon was pretty fun; hung out a tourist bar that kind of become my dive while I was there, called Sai Gon Bar. It was pretty much visited entirely by tourists, but the bar staff, which seemed to number way more than a bar that size needs, were really cool, and I ended up talking with them most of the time. I tried to remember all their names, but only remember Lan, the really hot bartender, and Huyen, who was like a waitress or something; it was really quite confusing how it worked. In fact, Lan was really less a bartender as she was an order taker; I would have to tell her what I want, then she would get someone else to get it for me. I ended up meeting that Scottish guy I hung out with the other night, Devon, and we chatted a bit. Good guy, seemed to be an almost parody of a stereotypical Scotsman though; shaved head, big drinker, vaugely understandable. The next day I spent walking around the city, going to various shops in the Chinese Neighborhood. In case you were wondering, Saigon, Vietnam, has a Chinatown. I looked through the various painting shops, where people copy famous painting by hand. I was seriously eyeing the Mona Lisa or that famous painting of Napoleon on a horse,but decided against it, for now. They can also paint a portrait based on any photograph you give them, and they charge per person in the picture; I was told two people would run me $65, pre-haggling. I didn't ask how much if no people were in the photo, but I think it has to do with how hard they determine it will be. I unfortunately didn't have any pictures on me, I wish I had known about it before i left for Vietnam, it would be a cool gift idea
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment